My Journey

"The fact that I am a woman does not make me a different kind of Christian, but the fact that I am a Christian does make me a different kind of woman. For I have accepted God's idea of me, and my whole life is an offering back to Him of all that I am and all that He wants me to be." -Unknown

Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

I'm a follower of Christ. I strive to honor and please Him in all I do. I'm married to Jeffery (9/3/05). I'm learning how to be a Godly Wife, and I'm rediscovering myself while I'm at it. I'm a new Mother--even more new discovering!--to Jeffery Alan, II, aka Jak (11/18/06). I'm learning how to keep Jesus first in all ways, how to be the best Wife and Mother I can be, and still give myself grace at the same time. I'm a student of life. I like to have fun. I like to laugh and I like to cry. I love people. I love this precious gift of LIFE.

Friday, June 29, 2007

Cleaning The Right Way

I hate mopping. Hate it. It hurts my back. And mopping doesn't clean the floor too well anyway, so you essentially waste your time, because sooner or later, you're going to have to go back and do it The Right Way. On your trusty hands and knees.

We were raised to clean a house The Right Way, all the time. Because a clean house is, well, clean! Every Saturday morning Mom would wake me up and tell me what needed to be done (my goodie-two-shoes sister was usually already up and done with her chores by then). Not that I needed telling, it was the same thing week to week. But I'm sure that was Mom's way of making sure I got things done. You know, sort of a covert supervision thing.

As we got older, and Mom probably got sick of spending the better half of Saturday's cleaning the house, we were supposed to do our chores on Fridays. Not sure why on Fridays, because everyone would be home for the weekend and the house would need cleaning again by Monday. But that's how she ran her house. In my house, the cleaning gets done on Mondays.

Except today is Thursday.

Nonetheless, today is the first day I've been able to actually clean the house without boxes being all over the place! Plus, I have guests coming this weekend. Which leads me to the mopping.

In a normal move, I'd come in and clean the entire house, top to bottom, before we moved our things in. I couldn't do that this time around for various reasons, so I did what needed to be done as I could get to it. Jak keeps me pretty occupied, so exactly a month later, I'm finally getting to wash the floors for the first time. Yay and yuck at the same time.

We bought a new mop the day before we moved in. It broke the first time I attempted to use it. Mind you, that was the first mop I think I ever bought. Hands and knees, remember? We took that mop back and bought a new one. This one is still intact but I want to break it. I hate it! Any mop is only going to swish the dirt around, not really pick it up. And years and years later, the little girl who hated cleaning The Right Way understands why The Right Way is important...I know Mom would be happy.

Wasting my time? Sorta. Until I can get a good chunk of time to wash the floor The Right Way, the mopping will have to do. It's better than nothing, and at the very least, I will go to bed for the first time in a long time, with clean feet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home